San Diego – We were all told that the “revolution” in Egypt was what Democracy should look like and that it would lead to a proper democracy where the rights of the people, human rights, political rights, freedom, were in the forefront of this twitter and facebook led event. And I was bashed and flamed a bit because I said that view was factually inaccurate, politically naive, historically ignorant, and an expression of terminal wishful thinking. There is no point to rehashing my arguments, you can look at them in the older posts on Egypt and then Libya. But let’s look at what this wonderful Facebook democracy is beginning to look like, shall we, and to make it more real to you we’ll use only information gathered from that bastion of accurate and fair reporting (if you never do your own fact checking, that is) the New York Times.
- The now ruling army counsel is planning on how to prohibit and stop all future protests and sit-ins.
- There is now evidence that the Muslim Brotherhood (who was claimed as small, secular, and completely national in outlook) has brokered a deal with the army to expedite elections. Why? Because the MB is the only group sufficiently organized to win an election and know how to run a state to their satisfaction. And they are already helping the military to crack down on suspected anti-muslim behavior. This from a group we were told hated the military and vice-versa.
- Women who were protesting were arrested and the non-married women were stripped and checked to prove their virginity (and therefore given a ticket to live a bit longer) by the demoocratic and humane MB.
- MB has renewed its calls for an Islamic State.
- MB has openly stated the first order of business will be in canceling the peace treaty with Israel.
Wow, that is going pretty well, don’t you think? Why was this not seen coming by all of you who said I was way off base? There are very few alternative explanations. (1) The NYT could be lying but since this contradicts their own earlier stance I doubt it. (2) THe first analysis was based on virtually ZERO data since facts are not needed when ideology can supply an answer. I vote for #2.
It seems that some on the deep left are desperate to finally see ONE social/governmental experiment following in the warm and fuzzy tradition of Godwin, Rousseau, Marx, that will actually lead to the utopia they claim will happen if only given a chance. That it has not happened in the history of the world bothers them not a bit. Unfortunately it forces them to embrace events based on seeing the world through ideological blinders rather than based on history, facts, and human nature. That would simply be funny to watch were it not a time in the world when stability is fragile, and our own country is at a major low point economically and in terms of geopolitical respect. And since it is a view shared by the administration, it leaves us open to pursuing courses of action based in virtually no part on the realities of the situation.
These are truly frightening times! If we don’t start seeing the world as it is not as we want it to be, and getting ourselves a leader who is, well, a leader, then we are really in deep trouble.